Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Pushing Your Physical Limits

Ramit Sethi's "Hell Week" -- Day 1


This is all about exceeding your potential. What you thought you were capable of, you are wrong. You can do more. 20x more.

That's why I chose to do it. To challenge myself mentally, physically, emotionally, until I am the best I can be, and then keep trying harder.

I had a choice between 1,000 pushups or a 21 minute plank. I chose the plank. Most people were investing 2-3 hours of time doing the pushups and I don't have that kind of time. My exercise was no less rigorous, but not impossible.

I felt miserable doing it. It wasn't until the last 10 minutes that I was sweating, dripping onto the tile floor where I chose to do the challenge. I had a rolled up towel protecting my elbows, but little else. I was shaking like jello in an earthquake, my head shivering until my face shook, but I powered through.I had to put my knees down several times -- but I got right back into the game. I did more than I thought possible, and now I'm ready for the next challenge.

The lesson I learned is that if you keep looking ahead, you'll never get it done. Get what you're supposed to get done in the present moment. I broke my challenge up like the timer image below. 5 minute chunks. So that each five minute mark, I had to shut off a timer. Bear in mind this is *not* 5 minutes then rest. This is 5 minutes and keep going. Did it keep me going? I like to think it kept me sane, along with some kickin' music.

You'll never know what you're capable of until you try. Looking forward to Day 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment