Sunday, March 6, 2016

Relentless Focus

Ramit Sethi's "Hell Week" -- Day 4

 

If I thought the other challenges were difficult, nothing prepared me for Day 4. In each of the other days, I had music to cling to. Now, I had to go in complete silence. The rules:

- No Internet
- No Phone/Devices
- No Radio (and I imagine, by extension, CDs and MP3s)
- No Reading
- No Sleeping

and the biggie:
- No Talking(!)

So that meant that I had to isolate myself, literally, from everything that keeps us sane and stress-free. The "No Talking" rule was hard, as was the "No Internet." The internet is how I conduct business, so that's a tall order. But I set timers, and busied myself by cleaning up around the property, picking up things the windstorm had blown around. Then I want for a walk, seeking to find neighborhoods I had seldom visited. Without music, the world really opened itself to me, and I took in all the sights and sounds that I could:

The sound of the wind in the trees, the roar of jets as they scrape the sky, chimes and various other loose items rattling in the gale, dogs barking their warnings behind fence and closed door, the happy screams of kids at recess as I passed Fawcett Elementary, and the familiar sights of "12" flags flapping in the breeze, and dog poo melting on the tarmac.

Once I got in and ended my 2-hour isolation, I had two emails that were fairly urgent sent to me in that time frame. I could have dealt with them both in that time frame and gotten them out of my life.

What was it designed to achieve? I know it was Mark Divine's 6-Day Retreat in miniature. I also know that it was hard to maintain focus while adhering to these rules. The idea to is minimize distractions, and as a bonus you could try and create sacred space by denying yourself devices 2 hours before bed and after waking, but that's simply not practical for me.  I get my assignments in the morning, so all I would be doing is delaying the inevitable. If I wanted to delay doing my work, I could go on Facebook or watch TV.

I have intense focus, sometimes to the point of not remembering to eat or sleep. I did a lot of things during this time, but focusing on my goals wasn't one of them. What I really need is a way to drop into "the zone," anytime, anywhere, instantly, and get things done.  

Ah well, live and learn, I guess. I didn't ring the bell to quit, and I refuse to quit. The only reason we fall is to get back on our feet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment